Food is anabolic, but how much should a skinny guy really eat to build muscle? Here’s what you need to know about bulking.
Should skinny guys eat a significant caloric surplus to build muscle?
- For most hardgainers, the answer is yes. Food is anabolic. It increases insulin, IGF-1, and mTOR activation. It also decreases cortisol. Carbs are the best anti-cortisol supplement.
- Some people have a greater propensity to build muscle. If you’re genetically gifted, or if you’re on anabolic drugs, you won’t need to eat in as much of a surplus.
- The less advantaged you are from an anabolic perspective, the more of a surplus you’ll need, mostly coming from protein and carbs.
- Not sure if you’re a hardgainer? Check out the 7 types of muscle gainers.
- If you’re certain you’re a hardgainer, here’s what to do about it.
Note: For daily videos like this and more Q&A with Coach Thibaudeau, join him in his exclusive T Nation Plus forum.
Make any diet plan work better: